Step 1 Consultation and Educational Seminar
- Your first step before weight loss surgery will be to have a private consultation with one of our surgeons and to attend an educational seminar. You may do these in either order. We want you to have all the information you need when making the decision to have bariatric surgery.
- At your initial visit with your surgeon, you will also have the opportunity to speak with our Patient Advocate about how your insurance will be paying for your surgery and what your portion will be, if any.
- They can also talk to you about financing options if your insurance does not cover bariatric surgery.
Step 2 Required Clearances
- All patients are required to undergo psychological testing to assess their readiness for bariatric surgery. This may be done in our office on the same day as your consultation with the surgeon if you would like. (Please note: The fee for the psychologic evaluation is separate from your surgeon’s consultation fee because the psychologist is an independent consultant.)
- Nutrition Education is also required and also may be done the same day as your consultation with the surgeon. There is no additional fee for this.
- Your surgeon may require additional clearances, such as cardiology evaluation or a sleep study to be completed prior to surgery Medically-Supervised Weight Loss.
- Many insurance companies require patients to undergo 3-6 months of physician-supervised weight loss prior to approving the surgery. Our Internal Medicine doctor and Nurse Practitioner can provide this for you.
Step 3 Submit to Insurance Company
- Once all of your clearances and necessary information have been gathered, our Patient Advocate will submit your information to your insurance company for an authorization for surgery.
- Insurance companies provide an authorization anywhere from 24 hours to 30 days after we request it. The timing of getting your authorization is dependent on how quickly your insurance company responds. We do everything in our power to expedite the process for you. The average time to wait for an authorization is 2 weeks.
- Once we receive your authorization, we will contact you to finalize your surgery date, set up your Pre-Op visit, and instruct you on your Pre-Op diet, if your surgeon has indicated he wants you on one.
Step 4 Pre-Op Day
- Your Pre-Op visit will usually be the Thursday before your surgery.
- On your Pre-Op Day, you will meet with your surgeon again to discuss your surgery, and you will undergo pre-operative testing, including lab work, EKG, and Chest X-Ray.
- You will also receive your Bariatric Surgery Handbook and you will attend a Pre-Op class, both of which contain important information you need to know and understand prior to surgery.
- Your Pre-Op visit will take much of the day, so please plan accordingly.
Step 5 Surgery
Step 6 One-Week Post-Op Visit and Lectures
- Approximately one week after surgery, you will attend an office visit with your surgeon to see how you are doing. You will then have a series of educational lectures on how to advance your diet, what vitamins to take, how to start your exercise regimen, etc. This will take about half of the day, so please plan accordingly.
Step 7 Follow Up Visits
- Bariatric surgery is not a one-step process. Follow up visits with our medical team to review your weight loss, nutritional status and exercise habits are critical to your success.
- Periodic lab work is imperative to ensure you are losing your weight in a healthy and safe way. Vitamin levels must be checked periodically to prevent deficiencies.
- Your commitment to this follow up is imperative for your success and health. Standard follow-up schedule for gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy is: 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, and annually thereafter. Standard followup for gastric banding depends on your band adjustment schedule and is usually more frequent in the first year.
Step 8 Support Groups
- All patients are invited to attend our support group meetings. They are held monthly and the schedule can be found on our website.